Your pharmacist can give you advice on a range of medical problems. With the Common Ailments Scheme you can get free treatment for many problems.


Physiotherapy is the best treatment for many joint problems and physical pain. You can self refer to see a physiotherapist without seeing your GP.

Mental health

There are many services in the community which offer support to people suffering from mental health problems. You can get counselling, advice, resources, and much more.


If you have a problem with your eyes or vision, the optician can examine, diagnose, and start treatment. Because they have the equipment and the expertise, they are often in a better position than the GP to offer advice.


If you have a dental problem, you should see your dentist. We as GP’s are not trained in dental problems. Here you will find advice on finding a dentist or who to contact if you have a dental emergency.

Social resources

If you think that you, a family member, or a friend need help with day-to-day life, there are many services available in the community. In addition to the council Social Services, there are numerous other organisations and charities.

Smoking cessation

It isn’t easy to quit smoking, but it can be the biggest positive change for your health. There are many resources available to help you quit, including the pharmacist, the ‘Help me Quit’ service, and your GPs.

Family planning and sexual health

There are community clinics which can offer advice on contraception, sexual health, and terminations. They can fit long term contraception such as coils and the implant.